Jessica Chastain tells Variety this re Joaquin in The Master:
His performance was so brave. I know everyone says ‘brave’ for acting, but for me Joaquin Phoenix’s performance in ‘The Master’ was brave. It really was! Without vanity and an absolute transformation. What he did with his body. From the moment we see him on the screen, we understand so much about this character. And it’s so unlike all the other characters he’s ever done. When I saw him in this movie, I was just blown away.
Sight and Sound critics poll bring The Master in at number 1…… FilmDetail have the list:
1. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson, USA)
2. Tabu (Miguel Gomes, Portugal/Germany/France)
3. Amour (Michael Haneke, France/Germany/Austria)
4. Holy Motors (Leos Carax, France/Germany)
5. Beasts of the Southern Wild (Benh Zeitlin, USA)
= Berberian Sound Studio (Peter Strickland, UK/Germany)
7. Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson, USA)
8. Beyond the Hills (Christian Mungiu, Romania/France/Belgium)
Alt Film Guide speculated about Joaquin’s chances at the New York Film Critics Circle:
If Phoenix does win, that’ll be his first NYFCC victory and will place him once again — before The Master‘s highly disappointing box-office performance — as one of the top contenders for the 2013 Best Actor Oscar.
Unfortunately…… Daniel Day Lewis got the award…… Winners